All listings for this product
Save on Audio Books
- AU $16.32Trending at AU $20.50
- AU $13.67Trending at AU $17.98
- AU $89.47Trending at AU $97.18
- AU $14.93Trending at AU $17.69
- AU $27.59Trending at AU $32.32
- AU $30.20Trending at AU $37.30
- AU $30.76Trending at AU $35.67
About this product
- DescriptionEnrico Fermi is unquestionably among the greats of the world's physicists, the most famous Italian scientist since Galileo. Called the Pope by his peers, he was regarded as infallible in his instincts and research. His discoveries changed our world; they led to weapons of mass destruction and conversely to life-saving medical interventions. This unassuming man struggled with issues relevant today, such as the threat of nuclear annihilation and the relationship of science to politics. Fleeing Fascism and anti-Semitism, Fermi became a leading figure in America's most secret project: building the atomic bomb. The last physicist who mastered all branches of the discipline, Fermi was a rare mixture of theorist and experimentalist. His rich legacy encompasses key advances in fields as diverse as comic rays, nuclear techlogy, and early computers. In their revealing book, The Pope of Physics, Gi Segre and Bettina Hoerlin bring this scientific visionary to life. An examination of the human dramas that touched Fermi's life as well as a thrilling history of scientific invation in the twentieth century, this is the comprehensive biography that Fermi deserves.
- Author BiographyGino Segre has a bachelor's degree in physics from Harvard, attended the Massachusetts Institute of Technology for graduate school, and spent time in Europe for postdoctoral work. He began teaching at the University of Pennsylvania in 1967. A long-term interest in history led him to begin writing about science history. Bettina Hoerlin holds a doctorate in policy sciences and taught at the University of Pennsylvania for seventeen years, having previously served as health commissioner of Philadelphia. She was also a visiting professor at Haverford College. She lives with her husband, physicist Gino Segre, in Philadelphia. AudioFile Earphones Award winner Tim Campbell is a classically trained narrator, voice-over/stage actor, and opera singer based in Los Angeles. With over 160 titles to his credit, he narrates proficiently as both an American and a Brit, and does myriad accents and dialects from around the world.
- Author(s)Bettina Hoerlin,Gino Segre
- PublisherTantor Media, Inc
- Date of Publication14/02/2017
- SubjectBiography: Science, Technology & Medical
- Place of PublicationOld Saybrook, CT
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintTantor Media, Inc
- Weight72 g
- Width135 mm
- Height190 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Narrator(s)Timothy John Campbell
- Format DetailsMP3 format
- Running Time640
- Edition StatementUnabridged
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.