All listings for this product
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $16.82Trending at AU $17.35
- AU $66.82Trending at AU $74.89
- AU $96.38Trending at AU $104.01
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $70.87
- AU $13.21Trending at AU $15.50
- AU $23.99Trending at AU $25.75
- AU $10.20Trending at AU $14.20
About this product
- DescriptionThis is an anthology of the American short story between the Civil War and World War I, containing 47 stories by 30 writers. Realist writers, represented by Mark Twain, Henry James, Stephen Crane, Kate Chopin and Willa Cather among others, sought to paint life as it is, human feelings in their true proportions and relations . There are introductory essays on the historical and literary context of the Age of Realism, a chrology, critical headtes and minibiographies.
- Author BiographyJames Nagel, Edison Distonguished Professor of English at the University of Georgia, has edited several collections on the works of Ernest Hemingway, Stephen Crane, and Hamlin Garland, as well as the Penguin Twentieth-Century Classics edition of John Steinbeck's Pastures of Heaven.Tom Quirk is the Catherine Paine Middlebush Professor of English at the University of Missouri-Columbia. He is the editor of the Penguin Classics editions of Mark Twain's <b>Tales, Speeches, Essays, and Sketches</b> (1994) and Ambrose Bierce's <b>Tales of Soldiers and Civilians and Other Stories</b> (2000) and co-editor of <b>The Portable American Realism Reader</b> (1997). His other books include <b>Coming to Grips with Huckleberry Finn</b> (1993), <b>Mark Twain: A Study of the Short Fiction</b> (1997) and <b>Nothing Abstract: Investigations in the American Literary Imagination</b> (2001).</p>
- PublisherPenguin Books Ltd
- Date of Publication30/04/1998
- SubjectShort Stories & Fiction Anthologies
- Series TitleViking Portable Library S.
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintViking Portable Library
- Out-of-print date25/10/2001
- Content Notechronology, notes
- Weight443 g
- Width128 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine27 mm
- Edited byJames Nagel,Tom Quirk
- Introduction byThomas Quirk,James Nagel
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.