Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $42.22Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by kamilc1
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $19.44+ AU $4.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
Consider these sponsored items
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.79Trending at AU $65.19
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $71.53
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $80.61
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $116.86
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $107.96
- AU $110.99Trending at AU $112.12
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $106.36
About this product
- DescriptionFrom civil rights to free love, JFK to LSD, Woodstock to the Moonwalk, the Sixties was a time of change, political unrest, and radical experiments in the arts, sexuality, and personal identity. In this anthology of more than one hundred selections of essays, poetry, and fiction by some of America s most gifted writers, Ann Charters sketches the unfolding of this most turbulent decade. <i>The Portable Sixties Reader</i> is organized into thematic chapters, from the Civil Rights movement to the Anti-Vietnam movement, the Free Speech movement, the Counterculture movement, drugs and the movement into Inner Space, the Beats and other fringe literary movements, the Black Arts movement, the Women s movement, and the Environmental movement. The concluding chapter, Elegies for the Sixties, offers tributes to ten figures whose lives and deaths captured the spirit of the decade. <b>Contributors include: </b> Edward Abbey, Sherman Alexie, James Baldwin, Richard Brautigan, Lenny Bruce, Charles Bukowski, William Burroughs, Jim Carroll, Rachel Carson, Carlos Castenada, Bob Dylan, Betty Friedan, Nikki Giovanni, Michael Herr, Abbie Hoffman, Robert Hunter, Ken Kesey, Martin Luther King, Jr., Timothy Leary, Denise Levertov, Norman Mailer, Malcolm X, Country Joe McDonald, Kate Millet, Tim O Brien, Sylvia Plath, Susan Sontag, Gloria Steinem, Hunter S. Thompson, Calvin Trillin, Alice Walker, Eudora Welty and more. For more than seventy years, Penguin has been the leading publisher of classic literature in the English-speaking world. With more than 1,700titles, Penguin Classics represents a global bookshelf of the best works throughout history and across genres and disciplines. Readers trust theseries to provide authoritative texts enhanced by introductions and tes by distinguished scholars and contemporary authors, as well as up-to-datetranslations by award-winning translators.
- Author Biography<b>Ann Charters</b> is the editor of <b>The Portable Sixties Reader</b>, <b>The Portable Jack Kerouac</b>, two volumes of Jack Kerouac's <b>Selected Letters</b>, and <b>Beat Down to Your Soul</b>. She teaches at the University of Connecticut.
- PublisherPenguin Putnam Inc
- Date of Publication14/01/2003
- FormatPaperback / softback
- Series TitlePenguin Classics
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPenguin Classics
- Weight440 g
- Width129 mm
- Height196 mm
- Spine31 mm
- Edited byAnn Charters
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.