CURRENTLY SOLD OUT
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.99Trending at AU $75.20
- AU $65.90Trending at AU $72.08
- AU $64.90Trending at AU $71.02
- AU $100.89Trending at AU $103.83
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.26
- AU $57.95Trending at AU $58.87
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $112.98
About this product
- DescriptionThis book shows how the people of Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania confronted a military superpower and achieved independence in the Baltic Singing Revolution . When attacked by Soviet soldiers in public displays of violent force, singing Balts maintained faith in n-violent political action. As an inspiration to all nations, the n-violent Baltic independence movement revolutionised each country through singing and smiling. The Singing Revolution is indeed the essence of the Baltic way, and began in 1987 as a public revolt against Soviet restrictions on free speech and assembly. The revolutions and following elections in 1990 resulted in three separate governments and a declaration of independence from the Soviet Union. The book seeks to answer questions such as why the struggle for Baltic independence came to be called the Singing Revolution? What did they sing? And what role did singing play in the Estonian, Latvian, and Lithuanian campaigns of political mobilisation and n-violent action? Furthermore, and uniquely for this publication, it explores, in great depth, the songs that gave the revolution its name, translating and interpreting over 110 choral, rock, and folk songs in their poetic, cultural, and historical context.
- Author BiographyGuntis Smidchens is the Kazickas Family Endowed Professor in Baltic Studies in the Scandinavian Studies Department at the University of Washington.
- Author(s)Guntis Smidchens
- PublisherMuseum Tusculanum Press
- Date of Publication01/02/2014
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Place of PublicationCopenhagen
- Country of PublicationDenmark
- ImprintMuseum Tusculanum Press
- Content Note9 colour plates & 22 b/w illus
- Weight730 g
- Width155 mm
- Height230 mm
- Spine22 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.