Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.53Trending at AU $73.95
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.33
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.77
- AU $92.88Trending at AU $103.09
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.00
- AU $41.65Trending at AU $44.79
- AU $46.32Trending at AU $48.00
About this product
- DescriptionThe Practice of Reading is a lucid and lively examination of the art of interpreting the vel in the context of recent developments in literary theory and criticism. Believing that reading is - or should be - a pleasurable, creative activity, the authors analyse a range of seven vels from the eighteenth century to the present, focusing upon the experiential dimensions of the reading process. What is the role of the reader? What happens when a vel is read? How far does meaning depend on the reader, and how far on the text? These and other related questions are explored in readings of vels as diverse as Tristram Shandy, Pride and Prejudice, Great Expectations, Daniel Deronda, A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man, Beckett's Trilogy and Possession. In its insistence upon a return to the practice of close reading, the book represents a timely intervention in current literary debates. An accessible, informative and above all stimulating text for all university and college students of literature.
- Author BiographyDEREK ALSOP is Senior Lecturer in English Literature at St Mary's University College, Strawberry Hill. CHRIS WALSH is Head of English at University College Chester.
- Author(s)Chris Walsh,Derek Alsop
- PublisherPalgrave Macmillan
- Date of Publication19/04/1999
- SubjectLiterary Studies: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPalgrave Macmillan
- Content Notebiography
- Weight311 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (UK)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.