All listings for this product
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.40
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.83
- AU $94.90Trending at AU $96.53
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.28
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $37.18
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.95
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $86.07
About this product
- DescriptionWith over four million members, the Presbyterian Church of East Africa (PCEA) is one of the major deminations in Kenya. It was established in 1946 after the Gospel Missionary Society (GMS) from the United States of America and the Church of Scotland Mission (CSM) from Scotland merged. The two missionary societies had been working independently in central Kenya since 1898. Consequently the GMS became the only mission in Kenya that failed to leave behind its own functioning self-propagating, self-governing, and self-supporting church with links to its American mother church. The Presbyterian Church of East Africa is, therefore, a study of the missionary work of the GMS from its inception in 1895 to 1946 when it merged with the CSM in order to establish why the mission gave up the struggle to establish its own church when victory seemed imminent. The book also uses the GMS as a case study to analyze t only how Christian missions in colonial Africa struggled to win souls for Jesus Christ, but also some of the major problems that they encountered and how they tried to solve them.
- Author BiographyThe Author: Evanson N. Wamagatta earned his Ph.D. in history at West Virginia University, Morgantown, West Virginia. He received his M.A. in history and B.A. from the University of Nairobi, Kenya. Dr. Wamagatta has worked as a Tutorial Fellow and Lecturer at the University of Nairobi where he taught history. He is currently Assistant Professor of History at Biola University in La Mirada, California.
- Author(s)Evanson N. Wamagatta
- PublisherPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Date of Publication01/06/2009
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Series TitleAmerican University Studies
- Series Part/Volume Number290
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight580 g
- Width160 mm
- Height230 mm
- Edition Statement1st New edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.