All listings for this product
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $16.82Trending at AU $17.35
- AU $66.82Trending at AU $74.89
- AU $96.38Trending at AU $104.01
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $70.87
- AU $13.21Trending at AU $15.50
- AU $23.99Trending at AU $25.75
- AU $10.20Trending at AU $14.20
About this product
- DescriptionThe brevity of Muriel Spark's vels is equaled only by their brilliance. These four vels, each a miniature masterpiece, illustrate her development over four decades. Despite the seriousness of their themes, all four are fantastic comedies of manners, bristling with wit. Spark's most celebrated vel, THE PRIME OF MISS JEAN BRODIE, tells the story of a charismatic schoolteacher's catastrophic effect on her pupils. THE GIRLS OF SLENDER MEANS is a beautifully drawn portrait of young women living in a hostel in London in the giddy postwar days of 1945. THE DRIVER'S SEAT follows the final haunted hours of a woman descending into madness. And THE ONLY PROBLEM is a witty fable about suffering that brings the Book of Job to bear on contemporary terrorism. Characters are vividly etched in a few words; earth-shaking events are lightly touched on. Yet underneath the glittering surface there is an obsessive probing of metaphysical questions: the meaning of good and evil, the need for salvation, the search for significance.
- Author BiographySir Frank Kermode has been Northcliffe Professor Modern English Literature at University College, London, King Edward VII Professor of English Literature at Cambridge and Charles Eliot Norton Professor of Poetry at Harvard. His many books include The Sense of an Ending, Romantic Image and a memoir, Not Entitled.
- Author(s)Muriel Spark
- Date of Publication06/05/2004
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintEveryman's Library
- Weight571 g
- Width130 mm
- Height208 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Introduction byFrank Kermode
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.