All listings for this product
About this product
- Description*Winner of the 2016 Edna Staebler Award for Non-Fiction* How to start a book club in a men's prison? After a violent mugging, Ann Walmsley was understandably anxious when her friend set one up and asked her to help. But curiosity got the better of her, and she signed up. And this wasn't to be a typical book club - there would be wine and cheese, plush furniture and superficial chat about recent holidays. Instead, classic works of fiction and n-fiction - from The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time to Three Cups of Tea - became springboards for frank discussions about loss, anger, identity and loneliness, and for the men a prized oasis in which to regain a sense of humanity. Follow Graham the biker, Frank the gunman, Ben and Dread the drug dealers and the robber duo Gaston and Peter as they share ideas and reveal their life stories in this heartwarming example of the rehabilitative power of reading.
- Author BiographyAnn Walmsley is a magazine journalist whose work has appeared in The Globe and Mail and Maclean's. She is the recipient of four National Magazine Awards, a Canadian Business Journalism Award and two International Regional Magazine Awards. She founded her first book club at age nine.
- Author(s)Ann Walmsley
- PublisherOneworld Publications
- Date of Publication07/04/2016
- SubjectPopular Culture & Media: General Interest
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintOneworld Publications
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $46.25Trending at AU $49.52
- AU $3.75Trending at AU $7.39
- AU $27.04Trending at AU $31.08
- AU $70.90Trending at AU $79.81
- AU $20.50Trending at AU $24.14
- AU $22.60Trending at AU $23.09
- AU $17.07Trending at AU $23.44
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.