Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $70.99Trending at AU $78.63
- AU $65.99Trending at AU $71.23
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $114.18
- AU $79.95Trending at AU $84.73
- AU $70.90Trending at AU $76.35
- AU $12.63Trending at AU $18.69
- AU $16.68Trending at AU $22.47
About this product
- DescriptionThis is the Penguin English Library Edition of The Private Memoirs and Confessions of a Justified Sinner by James Hogg. 'He was constantly harassed with the idea, that the next time he lifted his eyes, he would to a certainty see that face, the most repulsive to all his feelings of aught the earth contained'. A nightmarish tale of religious fanaticism and darkness, this chilling classic of the macabre tells the tale of Robert Wringhim, drawn in his moral confusion into committing the most monstrous acts by an evil doppelganger. James Hogg's masterpiece is as troublingly duplicitous as Wringhim himself, and was igred and bowdlerized before becoming a hugely influential work of Scottish literature. The Penguin English Library - 100 editions of the best fiction in English, from the eighteenth century and the very first vels to the beginning of the First World War.
- Author BiographyJames Hogg (1770-1835) led a troubled life as a writer. Originally a shepherd, he taught himself to write and finally achieved recognition for his epic poem on Mary, Queen of Scots, The Queen's Wake, and was invited to write for the best-selling journal Blackwood's Magazine. However, Hogg soon became a figure of fun and ridicule in the magazine's satirical 'Noctes Ambrosianae', in which the crude and absurd 'Ettrick Shepherd' was openly modelled on him. It is debated whether this was a source of pain and humiliation to the increasingly ostracised Hogg. His masterpiece, The Private Memoirs and Confessions of a Justified Sinner, only achieved recognition some 100 years after publication, but is now one of the most important novels in the Scottish canon.
- Author(s)James Hogg
- PublisherPenguin Books Ltd
- Date of Publication26/04/2012
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Series TitleThe Penguin English Library
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPenguin Classics
- Out-of-print date27/11/2016
- Weight182 g
- Width136 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine12 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.