All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $34.30Trending at AU $35.14
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $17.20
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $14.01
- AU $21.17Trending at AU $25.58
- AU $72.88Trending at AU $77.86
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $100.05
- AU $30.28Trending at AU $35.05
About this product
- DescriptionIn <i>The <i>Problem Body, </i></i> editors Sally Chivers and Nicole Markotic bring together the work of eleven of the best disability scholars from the U.S., the U.K., Canada, and South Korea to explore a new approach to the study of film by concentrating on cinematic representations of what they term the problem body. The book is a much-needed exploration of the projection of disability on film combined with a much-needed rethinking of hierarchies of difference. The editors turned to the existing corpus of disability theory with its impressive insights about the social and cultural mediation of disabled bodies. They then sought, from scholars at every stage of their careers, new ideas about how disabled bodies coexist with a range of other bodies (gendered, queered, racialized, classed, etc.). To call into question why certain bodies invite the label problem more frequently than other bodies, the contributors draw on scholarship from feminist, race, queer, cultural studies, disability, and film studies arenas. In Chivers and Markotic s introduction, they draw on disability theory and a range of cinematic examples to explain the term problem body in relation to its projection. In explorations of film ir, illness narratives, classical Hollywood film, and French film, the essays reveal the problem body as a multiplication of lived circumstances constructed both physically and socially.
- Author BiographySally Chivers is associate professor and Chair of Canadian Studies at Trent University. Nicole Markotic is associate professor of English at the University of Windsor.
- PublisherOhio State University Press
- Date of Publication29/05/2015
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectFilm, TV & Radio
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintOhio State University Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight372 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine14 mm
- Edited byNicole Markotic,Sally Chivers
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.