All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionTo read literature is to read the way literature reads. Rene Girard's immense body of work supports this thesis bountifully. Whether engaging the European vel, ancient Greek tragedy, Shakespeare's plays, or Jewish and Christian scripture, Girard teaches us to read prophetically, t by offering a method he has developed, but by presenting the methodologies they have developed, the interpretative readings already available within (and constitutive of) such bodies of classical writing. <br><br>In <em>The Prophetic Law</em>, literary scholar, theorist, and critic Sandor Goodhart divides his essays on Rene Girard since 1983 into four groupings. In three, he addresses Girardian concerns with Biblical scripture (Genesis and Exodus), literature (the European vel and Shakespeare), and philosophy and religious studies issues (especially ethical and Jewish subject matters). In a fourth section, he reproduces some of the polemical exchanges in which he has participated with others--including Rene Girard himself--as part of what could justly be deemed Jewish-Christian dialogue. The twelve texts that make up the heart of this captivating volume constitute the bulk of the author's writings to date on Girard outside of his three previous books on Girardian topics. Taken together, they offer a comprehensive engagement with Girard's sharpest and most original literary, anthropological, and scriptural insights.
- Author Biography<strong>Sandor Goodhart</strong> is Professor of English and Jewish Studies at Purdue University, USA, former President of the Colloquium on Violence and Religion (COV&R), and author of <em>Sacrificing Commentary</em>, as well as more than ninety essays.
- Author(s)Sandor Goodhart
- PublisherMichigan State University Press
- Date of Publication30/01/2014
- SubjectReligion: Comparative, General & Reference
- Series TitleStudies in Violence, Mimesis, and Culture Series
- Place of PublicationEast Lansing, MI
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMichigan State University Press
- Out-of-print date16/04/2015
- Weight431 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine23 mm
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $115.99Trending at AU $139.18
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $72.74
- AU $33.00Trending at AU $36.60
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $38.02
- AU $17.48Trending at AU $19.74
- AU $16.92Trending at AU $22.07
- AU $20.38Trending at AU $26.71
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.