All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.99Trending at AU $75.20
- AU $65.90Trending at AU $72.08
- AU $64.90Trending at AU $71.02
- AU $100.89Trending at AU $103.83
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.26
- AU $57.95Trending at AU $58.87
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $112.98
About this product
- DescriptionMedieval scribes often treated the works that they copied as living works which could t be ascribed to a single author and were, therefore, static. These scribal editors appropriated and, in rewriting, dismembered the original textual body. They reshaped these texts in their own image. In an attempt to avoid the perpetuation of such 'Frankentexts,' Dr. Chappell's edition of Robert Thornton's prose Alexander regenerates the scribal artifact with little emendation, modernization, or other imposition on the manuscript text. At the same time, this edition offers an interpretation in the form of a Modern English translation so that Robert Thornton's text might be accessible to a more diverse audience.
- Author BiographyThe Author: Julie Chappell received her B.A. degree from the University of California, San Diego and her M.A. and Ph.D. degrees from the University of Washington. She is currently an Assistant Professor of English at St. Mary's College of California. This is her first full-length monograph.
- Author(s)Robert Thornton
- PublisherPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Date of Publication01/10/1992
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Series TitleAmerican University Studies Series 4: English Language and Literature
- Series Part/Volume Number131
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published1992
- ImprintPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Weight580 g
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.