All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFatigue can have a major impact on an individual's performance and well-being, yet is poorly understood, even within the scientific community. There is developed theory of its origins or functions, and different types of fatigue (mental, physical, sleepiness) are routinely confused. The widespread interpretation of fatigue as a negative consequence of work may be true only for externally imposed goals; meaningful or self-initiated work is rarely tiring and often invigorating. In the first book dedicated to the systematic treatment of fatigue for over sixty years, Robert Hockey examines its many aspects - social history, neuroscience, energetics, exercise physiology, sleep and clinical implications - and develops a new motivational control theory, in which fatigue is treated as an emotion having a fundamental adaptive role in the management of goals. He then uses this new perspective to explore the role of fatigue in relation to individual motivation, working life and well-being.
- Author BiographyRobert Hockey is Emeritus Professor of Human Factors and Cognitive Engineering in the Department of Psychology at Sheffield University. His research on human attention and performance, workload, stress and fatigue has emphasized the adaptive nature of human regulatory activity in task performance, and he has acted as a consultant in the maritime, rail, nuclear and space industries. He has published over 170 research articles and edited or written six books, including Stress and Fatigue in Human Performance (1983).
- Author(s)Robert V. Hockey
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication16/05/2013
- SubjectPsychology: Professional & General
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note10 b/w illus. 3 tables
- Weight560 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine17 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $12.99Trending at AU $19.18
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $72.99
- AU $26.40Trending at AU $33.42
- AU $28.11Trending at AU $30.32
- AU $36.82Trending at AU $37.88
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.28
- AU $14.43Trending at AU $22.77
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.