All listings for this product
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.88Trending at AU $23.68
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $73.52
- AU $32.89Trending at AU $36.89
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $48.32
- AU $30.58Trending at AU $37.67
- AU $44.12Trending at AU $51.80
- AU $41.91Trending at AU $52.43
About this product
- DescriptionOn an MTV special aired in 2000, young interviewees were asked to confess the worse thing they were ever told during a romantic breakup. One person tearfully responded that I suck in bed. More recently, an acquaintance of mine admitted to his new girlfriend that he has a mean streak. She decided t to date him after that. Ather memorable and painful example of openness occurred years ago when I served as a member of a suicide intervention team. I was called to a very disturbing scene in an upscale neighborhood to console a woman who was threaten- ing to take her life on the lawn in front of her children. Her husband had just confessed his long-term affair to her that morning and she felt that her world was coming apart. Fortunately, she did t take her life but was left with the humiliation of haVing her neighbors kw about her private troubles. The question these examples bring to mind is, Why do people so often reveal potentially stigmatizing personal information to others? The reader probably has an intuitive answer to this question already. It can seem like such a burden-even torture-to keep secrets from other people. Hiding such things as feelings of discontent from a boyfriend or girlfriend, violations of the law from close friends, and indiscretions from employers can be alienating. People want others to kw them; therefore they often end up disclosing self-incriminating information.
- Author(s)Anita E. Kelly
- PublisherSpringer Science+Business Media
- Date of Publication01/01/2002
- SubjectPsychology: Professional & General
- Series TitleThe Springer Series in Social Clinical Psychology
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPlenum Publishing Co.,N.Y.
- Content Notebiography
- Weight1260 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine26 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.