All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $47.31Trending at AU $49.44
- AU $77.99Trending at AU $116.29
- AU $28.58Trending at AU $31.02
- AU $70.13Trending at AU $77.15
- AU $74.43Trending at AU $76.94
- AU $35.45Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $26.74Trending at AU $37.56
About this product
- DescriptionThe Public Sphere from Outside the West brings together established and emerging new voices from philosophy, literature, anthropology, history, migration studies and information techlogy to address the present reality of the public sphere. In the age where everyone is in the public and everything is visible, this volume creates a delay in which the internet of things, mass surveillance and social media are asked What is/t the Public? The essays bring to attention the formation of geo-politically and historically distinct public spheres from South Africa, India, America and Europe. Such formations are found t only in the postcolonial histories of print, photography, cinema and caricature but also those underway in the digital era, such as the Arab Spring, Occupy movements and Anymous. Through critical engagement with philosophers such as Kant, Heidegger, Benjamin, Habermas and Arendt , the determining concepts of the Public Sphere-privacy, secrecy, reason, the people-are shown to be undergoing epistemological and practical ruptures. Demonstrating the necessity of these considerations to understand the world public that is rapidly transforming this concept in radical ways through techlogies today, this is the first collection on the subject to feature an impressive range of international thinkers. Global and timely in outlook, it breaks new ground and changes our way of looking at politics in the 21st century.
- Author BiographyDivya Dwivedi is Assistant Professor in the Department of Humanities and Social Sciences at the Indian Institute of Technology Delhi, India. Sanil V is Professor of Philosophy at the Department of Humanities and social Sciences, Indian Institute of Technology, New Delhi, India. He was the Watumall Distinguished Professor at the University of Hawaii, USA in 2010 as well as a Charles Wallace Fellow at the University of Liverpool and Directeur d'etudes Associes, at Maison des sciences de l'homme Paris, France.
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication24/09/2015
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBloomsbury Academic
- Content Note15 colour images in plate section:154-155. 6 b/w in text.
- Weight690 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Edited byDivya Dwivedi,Sanil V
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.