All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionViolence or the potential for violence is a fact of human existence. Many societies, including our own, reward martial success or skill at arms. The ways in which members of a particular society use force reveal a great deal about the nature of authority within the group and about its members' priorities. In The Purpose of Intervention, Martha Finnemore uses one type of force, military intervention, as a window onto the shifting character of international society. She examines the changes, over the past 400 years, about why countries intervene militarily, as well as in the ways they have intervened. It is t the fact of intervention that has altered, she says, but rather the reasons for and meaning behind intervention-the conventional understanding of the purposes for which states can and should use force. Finnemore looks at three types of intervention: collecting debts, addressing humanitarian crises, and acting against states perceived as threats to international peace. In all three, she finds that what is w considered obvious was vigorously contested or even rejected by people in earlier periods for well-articulated and logical reasons. A broad historical perspective allows her to explicate long-term trends: the steady erosion of force's rmative value in international politics, the growing influence of equality rms in many aspects of global political life, and the increasing importance of law in intervention practices.
- Author BiographyMartha Finnemore is University Professor of Political Science and International Affairs at The George Washington University.
- Author(s)Martha Finnemore
- PublisherCornell University Press
- Date of Publication01/07/2004
- SubjectInternational Relations
- Series TitleCornell Studies in Security Affairs
- Place of PublicationIthaca
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCornell University Press
- Content Note14
- Weight314 g
- Width156 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine11 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $46.25Trending at AU $49.65
- AU $3.73Trending at AU $7.41
- AU $27.04Trending at AU $31.41
- AU $70.90Trending at AU $78.37
- AU $19.24Trending at AU $24.20
- AU $22.60Trending at AU $23.15
- AU $36.89Trending at AU $46.18
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.