All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.88
- AU $5.99Trending at AU $8.24
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.83
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.29
- AU $67.69Trending at AU $74.89
- AU $31.51Trending at AU $36.97
- AU $44.28Trending at AU $47.12
About this product
- DescriptionFrom the far left to the far right, on talk radio and the op-ed page, more and more Americans believe that the social fabric is unraveling. Celebrity worship and media frenzy, suicidal cultists and heavily armed secessionists: modern life seems to have become a pyrotechnic insanitarium, Mark Dory says, borrowing a turn-of-the-century name for Coney Island. Dory elucidates thc meaning to our madness, deconstructing American culture from mainstream forces like Disney and Nike to fringe phemena like thc Unabomber and alien invaders. Our millennial angst, he argues, is a product of a pervasive cultural anxiety -- a combination of thc social and ecomic upheaval wrought by global capitalism and thc paraia fanned by media sensationalism. The Pyrotechnic Insanitarium is a theme-park ride through thc extremes of American culture of which The Atlantic Monthly has written, Mark Dery confirms once again what writers and thinkers as disparate as Nathanael West, Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Sigmund Freud, and Oliver Sacks have already shown us: thc best place to explore the human condition is at its outer margins, its pathological extremes.
- PublisherAvalon Travel Publishing
- Date of Publication15/12/1999
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Place of PublicationChicago
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintAvalon Travel Publishing
- Weight408 g
- Width159 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine12 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.