All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionCharles Rennie Mackintosh can be described as the greatest-ever Scottish architect, a water colourist of genius or a capricious interior designer with a flair for unstable furniture. He is all of these things, but he is also an enigma - an almost impenetrable figure in the history of Scottish art and architecture. John Cairney tells of the working life of Charles Rennie Mackintosh as well as the beautiful love story which tragically ended with his sudden death at the age of 60.
- Author BiographyJohn Cairney is an actor, writer, painter and lecturer. In 1975 he wrote the script for Mackintosh the Man, a 90-minute Dramatised Lecture Reading which was later fleshed out by a full cast and shown by STV. When researching this script Cairney found no books on Mackintosh's personal life and so has spent thirty years in pursuit of Mackintosh in hopes of ultimately revealing the story of the man himself. John Cairney's work as an actor, including solo performances playing Robert Burns and Robert Louis Stevenson, has taken round the world several times. He appeared at the Glasgow Citizens' Theatre as Hamlet and at the Edinburgh Festival as Macbeth and became a household name playing Burns in the eponymous TV series. For two years he was This Man Craig. He has also appeared in many well-known series such as Dr Finlay's Casebook, The Avengers and Jackanory. His films include Jason and the Argonauts, Cleopatra, Victim and A Night to Remember. He studied for a PhD on Robert Louis Stevenson, awarded by Victoria University, Wellington in 1994. He has lived in New Zealand since 1990 with his wife, actress and writer Alannah O'Sullivan. Previous books for Luath Press include On the Trail of Robert Burns, The Luath Burns Companion, Immortal Memories and The Quest for Robert Louis Stevenson.
- Author(s)John Cairney
- PublisherLuath Press Ltd
- Date of Publication15/04/2006
- SubjectIndividual Artists / Art Monographs
- Place of PublicationEdinburgh
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintLuath Press Ltd
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight381 g
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine20 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $24.61Trending at AU $33.14
- AU $17.87Trending at AU $22.29
- AU $43.44Trending at AU $44.45
- AU $34.88Trending at AU $37.10
- AU $25.92Trending at AU $34.12
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.33
- AU $36.24Trending at AU $40.06
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.