Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $90.88Trending at AU $93.04
- AU $28.71Trending at AU $30.82
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $78.83
- AU $34.29Trending at AU $38.68
- AU $26.88Trending at AU $29.35
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $17.94
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.21
About this product
- DescriptionEarly pioneers in management thinking, such as Henri Fayol and Peter Drucker, conceived of management as a science-based professional activity that serves the greater good. Today, however, many organizations are managed by people demonstrating anything but professionalism, resulting in mismanagement of risks as well as a one-dimensional focus on short-term results. The key thesis in this book is that The Quest for Professionalism must be revitalized, because the societal costs and damage caused by managerial amateurism are huge. The book is about how to address this grand challenge, for example by exploring whether and how a shared professional purpose, and a professional body of kwledge, can be developed. While most work in this area has previously focused on management education, The Quest for Professionalism adopts an inside-out approach, implying management scholarship is the driving force behind any intrinsic transformation of the profession at large. Without management scholars playing an active role in advancing 'science-based professionalism,' in the mould of engineering and medicine, any attempt to professionalize management practice is doomed to fail. Moreover, Georges Romme demonstrates the professionalization quest has to move away from the idea of management being confined to a few people at the top, toward management as a techlogy for distributing power and leadership throughout the organization.
- Author BiographyGeorges Romme is Professor of Entrepreneurship and Innovation at Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e), in The Netherlands. He studied economics a Tilburg University and obtained a doctoral degree from Maastricht University. Until 2014, Georges served as dean of Industrial Engineering & Innovation Sciences at TU/e. In the early 1990s, Georges Romme introduced Boolean comparative analysis in the field of management studies, and also pioneered the Thesis Circle, a tool for collaboratively supervising graduation projects. Moreover, he is one of the original pioneers who (re)introduced design thinking and the design sciences to management and organization studies. Professor Romme serves as a non-executive director in a variety of boards.
- Author(s)Georges Romme
- PublisherOxford University Press
- Date of Publication11/02/2016
- SubjectBusiness, Accounting & Vocational: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintOxford University Press
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight554 g
- Width167 mm
- Height240 mm
- Spine21 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.