All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA young English student, Paul, is sent to a Swiss sanatorium just after the end of the second world war. At a time when effective medication for tuberculosis was unkwn, Paul undergoes an unimaginable regime of regimented medical intervention, both physical and mental. His fellow patients fare better. Yet, as the poet Edwin Muir wrote in his original review in the Observer: 'The Rack does t deal obviously with disease and suffering; it describes, sometimes very amusingly, the life of the sanatorium: the sardonic professional kindness of the doctors, liable suddenly to break under pressure, the badness of the food, the endless pre-occupation of the patients with their symptoms, and the sexual promiscuity...Behind the book one has the impression of an unusual and powerful mind.' Graham Greene considered it a masterpiece; the Times Literary Supplement believed 'the book exercises a complete fascination...a deeply impressive performance' , and Time and Tide hailed The Rack as '...terrific. To read it is itself an experience.' Long out of print, the original Heinemann and Penguin editions cut out some 60,000 words of the author's original text.This Zephyr Edition will restore the complete text to provide today's reader with a chance to discover the definitive edition of one of the great English vels of the last century.
- Author(s)A.E. Ellis
- PublisherAshgrove Publishing Ltd
- Date of Publication23/09/2010
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationBath
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAshgrove Publishing Ltd
- Width130 mm
- Height205 mm
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $34.26Trending at AU $43.84
- AU $65.99Trending at AU $74.40
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $113.43
- AU $79.95Trending at AU $83.68
- AU $13.32Trending at AU $16.97
- AU $17.73Trending at AU $19.69
- AU $16.67Trending at AU $22.32
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.