Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $30.82
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $78.83
- AU $44.51Trending at AU $52.90
- AU $34.29Trending at AU $38.68
- AU $26.78Trending at AU $29.35
- AU $44.27Trending at AU $52.87
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.21
About this product
- DescriptionThe Ravenscroft School, a 19th-century Episcopal boarding school in Asheville, North Carolina, from 1856 to 1901, had three distinct phases. It was first a Classical and Theological School (1856-1864) and then, following the Civil War, a Theological Training School and Associate Mission (1868-1900); in 1887 it split into two departments, a Theological Training School/Associate Mission and Ravenscroft High School for Boys (1887-1901). Although the school itself was only in existence for about 45 years, the purview of this book is from the early days of Asheville (1820s), to the building of Joseph Osborne's mansion in the 1840s (which would eventually house the school), through the years of the school's operation, and then on up to the mid-20th century when the campus buildings were sold and repurposed. The book concludes with the efforts by historic preservationists to save the few remaining buildings of the Ravenscroft School during the late 1970s.
- Author BiographyDale Wayne Slusser has worked as an architectural designer with Helps International Ministries, a not-for-profit organization in Asheville, North Carolina, for over 25 years, and now serves as the Coordinator of HIM's Planning & Design Ministry. Slusser is a member of the Institute of Classical Architecture and Art; the National Trust for Historic Preservation; and the Preservation Society of Asheville-Buncombe County, where he currently serves on the Board of Trustees. He lives in Asheville.
- Author(s)Dale Wayne Slusser
- PublisherMcFarland & Co Inc
- Date of Publication30/10/2013
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Series TitleContributions to Southern Appalachian Studies
- Series Part/Volume NumberNo. 32
- Place of PublicationJefferson, NC
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMcFarland & Co Inc
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight431 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine20 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.