All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.88
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.86
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.37
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $75.12
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $37.08
- AU $44.51Trending at AU $47.26
- AU $25.48Trending at AU $28.32
About this product
- Description'Without these three men it might never have been possible to have D-Day in June 1944. It's hard to think of three individual servicemen who did more to hasten the Allied victory' - Robert Harris, author of Enigma . 'They played a pivotal part in bringing the Battle of the Atlantic to an earlier close' - Prince Andrew. 'A contribution to the winning of the war that few could match' - Tony Blair. The capture of the Enigma codes helped shorten the Second World War by at least a year. Churchill took a special interest in the information that came out of Bletchley Park's Station X and he guarded his contact well so that the Germans would never find out the source.Without the quick actions of three men from HMS Petard, who clambered aboard a sinking German U-boat, the codes might never have been broken. On the night of 30 October 1942, First Lieutenant Tony Fasson, accompanied by Able Seaman Colin Grazier and Tommy Brown, climbed aboard U-559. Passing codebooks up through the hatch, Fasson and Grazier were caught aboard the sub as she suddenly sank. Brown was saved, along with the code books, and the rest, they say, is history...It wasn't until 1969 that the men were mentioned for their work in rescuing the Enigma codes, and even then it was in the comic The Hornet . Phil Shanahan tells the extraordinary story of the three men who saved countless Allied lives and shortened the war by a year, as well as the efforts to recognise their bravery.
- Author BiographyPhil Shanahan is Deputy Editor of the Tamworth Herald. He lives in Staffordshire.
- Author(s)Phil Shanahan
- PublisherThe History Press Ltd
- Date of Publication06/01/2008
- SubjectMilitary History
- Place of PublicationStroud
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintTempus Publishing Ltd
- Content Note100 illustrations
- Weight740 g
- Width172 mm
- Height248 mm
- Spine10 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.