All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThere really was a St. Nicholas - you may be surprised to hear. He was a fourth-century bishop in Asia Mir. Europeans have long observed December 6 as St. Nicholas Day, but the tradition never took hold in America. This charming volume presents little-kwn legends and tales from Russia, Spain, Greece, Ireland, Germany, Holland, France, Italy, and Armenia----to name a few of the countries represented in this book. While slimmer than jolly old Santa, the historical saint is much larger in character. Celebrated as protector of the wronged and patron saint of children, Nicholas is, in essence, a Western bodhisattva: an enlightened being who serves those in need. This book restores him as an important lost archetype of the Wise Old Man, clustering stories according to such appealing themes as rescuing, nurturing, outwitting evil, and healing. Louise Carus spent two years researching and translating material to bring us the best collection available in English. It will delight parents, educators, community organizers, story lovers, and others eager to decommercialize and resanctify the holidays. Indeed, the generous spirit of the real St. Nicholas can inspire us any day of the year.
- Author(s)Louise Carus
- PublisherQuest Books,U.S.
- Date of Publication01/10/2002
- SubjectChristian Theology
- Place of PublicationWheaton, IL
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published1899
- ImprintQuest Books,U.S.
- Content Notecol
- Weight703 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine17 mm
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.88Trending at AU $23.68
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $73.52
- AU $32.89Trending at AU $36.89
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $48.32
- AU $30.58Trending at AU $37.67
- AU $44.12Trending at AU $51.80
- AU $41.91Trending at AU $52.43
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.