All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.79Trending at AU $43.25
- AU $9.20Trending at AU $15.72
- AU $30.28Trending at AU $33.86
- AU $43.40Trending at AU $47.45
- AU $21.54Trending at AU $28.11
- AU $42.71Trending at AU $49.12
- AU $43.28Trending at AU $48.33
About this product
- DescriptionThis is a comprehensive volume of international research on the European reception of Laurence Sterne.The intellectual scope and cultural impact of British writers in Europe cant be assessed without reference to their 'European' fortunes. This collection of 14 essays, prepared by an international team of scholars, critics and translators, records how Sterne's work has been received, translated and imitated in most European countries with great success. Among the topics discussed in this volume are questions arising from the serial nature of much of Sterne's writings and the various ways in which translators across Europe coped with the specific problems that the witty and ingenious Sternean text poses.Our kwledge of British and Irish authors is incomplete and inadequate without an understanding of the perspectives of other nations on them. Each volume examines the ways authors have been translated, published, distributed, read, reviewed and discussed in Europe. In doing so, it throws light t only on the specific strands of intellectual and cultural history but also on the processes involved in the dissemination of ideas and texts.
- Author BiographyPeter de Voogd is Professor of English Literature at the University of Utrecht. John Neubauer is Professor of Comparative Literature at the University of Amsterdam and author of The Fin-de-siecle Culture of Adolescence (1992, Yale UP).
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication31/10/2008
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Series TitleThe Reception of British and Irish Authors in Europe
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintContinuum Collections, an imprint of Continuum International Publishing Ltd
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight505 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Edited byJohn Neubauer,Peter de Voogd
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.