All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe chapters in this book were first presented at the Women in French Biennial Conference held in Leeds in May 2004. The twelve essays explore the multifaceted commodification of the female body and provide insights into the mutations of French society and culture. British and French scholars examine the paradoxes and contradictions embodied in various images and discourses related to health and illness from different perspectives, ranging from sociological studies to analyses of working diaries, children's medical encyclopaedias and literary texts. The 'resilient female body' as epitomised by the First World War nurse tends by the end of the twentieth century to be construed as the 'sanitised female body', subjected to mind/body dualities largely controlled by the medical professions. Thus, maternity and related issues such as birth and contraceptive techlogies figure as major themes with contributors revealing unresolved ambivalences. Other chapters focus on how women's ecomic activity can affect their individual health and, potentially, that of others. A further prominent theme shows how, for contemporary women writers, serious illnesses such as cancer and madness in women can be seen as rich metaphors for the ills of a male-dominated society. Duras's alcoholism and Aragon's portrayals of prostitution are also discussed.
- Author BiographyThe Editors: Maggie Allison is Honorary Visiting Senior Lecturer in French Studies at the University of Bradford. Her research and publications in gender and media in France cover advertising, the women's press, sexual harrassment and the role of women in politics. Yvette Rocheron is Honorary Fellow in French at the University of Leicester. A sociologist, her current interests and publications cover ethnic minority health in Britain, French television culture, immigration, mixed families and multiculturalism in France.
- PublisherVerlag Peter Lang
- Date of Publication01/01/2007
- LanguageEnglish & French
- SubjectEncyclopedias & General Reference
- Place of PublicationPieterlen
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- ImprintVerlag Peter Lang
- Weight340 g
- Width220 mm
- Height150 mm
- Edited byMaggie Allison,Yvette Rocheron
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.95Trending at AU $73.98
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.37
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.79
- AU $92.88Trending at AU $103.13
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.04
- AU $41.64Trending at AU $44.80
- AU $46.33Trending at AU $48.02
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.