All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $28.69Trending at AU $30.81
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $78.80
- AU $44.48Trending at AU $52.87
- AU $34.28Trending at AU $38.66
- AU $26.88Trending at AU $29.34
- AU $44.27Trending at AU $52.85
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.19
About this product
- DescriptionIn 1913, Albert Schweitzer (1875-1965) left his internationally rewned career as a theologian, philosopher, and organ player to open a hospital in the jungles of Africa. There he developed in theory and practice his ethics of reverence for life. When he published his most important philosophical work, The Philosophy of Civilization, few people were serious about treating animals with dignity and giving any consideration to environmental issues. Schweitzer's urge was heard but t fully appreciated. One hundred years later, we are in a better position to do it. Predrag Cicovacki's book is a call to restore Schweitzer's vision. After critically and systematically discussing the most important aspects of the ethics of reverence for life, Cicovacki argues that the restoration of Schweitzer does t mean the restoration of any particular doctrine. It means summoning eugh courage to reverse the deadly course of our civilization. And it also means establishing a way of life that stimulates striving toward what is the best and highest in human beings.
- Author BiographyPredrag Cicovacki is Professor of Philosophy at the College of the Holy Cross, MA, USA. He has published over fifty philosophy papers published in English, Serbian, German, Russian, Chinese, and Slovenian and is the author or editor of nine books, including Albert Schweitzer's Ethical Vision: A Sourcebook (with Introduction, Oxford University Press, 2009).
- Author(s)Predrag Cicovacki
- PublisherContinuum Publishing Corporation
- Date of Publication16/01/2014
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintContinuum Publishing Corporation
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight292 g
- Width153 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine12 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.