All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.57
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.97
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.24
- AU $79.95Trending at AU $91.09
- AU $46.37Trending at AU $48.13
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $84.05
- AU $20.00Trending at AU $28.33
About this product
- DescriptionFew animals face as violent, as well organised, and as determined an enemy as the world's rhis. Across the continent, rhis are being slaughtered on a daily basis and approximately 5,000 black rhis and 21,000 white rhis are all that prevent Africa's rhis from extinction. The Rhi Keepers is a personal story of the conservation of the rhis in southern Africa. It charts the ongoing struggle for survival of these amazing animals told through the experiences and insights of preeminent conservationists, Clive and Anton Walker. Clive's and Anton's book describes these fascinating animals and the reason behind their historical decline, the myths that surround them and discusses the resurrection of the rhi horn trade. They carefully unpack the complications of opening up a 'legal' trade in horn and the views of those who oppose such measures. This real life account of the rhi wars presents a harrowing story that underscores the ermous challenges that lie ahead for conservation in a world where rhi horns sold by the gram raise double the price of gold and are more expensive than cocaine in the end-user Asian markets. This book is for anyone who has been appalled over the past few years at the senseless slaughter of these magnificent animals. It urges readers to question the way we manage our natural heritage and implores us to recognise our role as rhi keepers of the future.
- Author BiographyClive Walker is the cofounder of the African Rhino Owners Association and the Rhino and Elephant Foundation. He served on the South African National Parks Board for more than 13 years and on the South African Parks Board for six years. Anton Walker is the general manager of the Lapalala Wilderness nature reserve in South Africa.
- Author(s)Anton Walker,Clive Walker
- PublisherJacana Media (Pty) Ltd
- Date of Publication01/06/2012
- SubjectNatural History: Animal & Wildlife
- Place of PublicationJohannesburg
- Country of PublicationSouth Africa
- ImprintJacana Media
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight350 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (UK)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.