All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionNo woman in the Gilded Age made as much money as Hetty Green, America s first female tycoon. A strong woman who forged her own path, she was worth at least $100 million by the end of her life in 1916 equal to about $2.5 billion today. Green was mocked for her simple Quaker ways and her unfashionable frugality in an era of opulence and excess; the press even nicknamed her The Witch of Wall Street. But those who knew her admired her wit and wisdom, and while financiers around her rose and fell as financial bubbles burst, she steadily amassed a fortune that supported businesses, churches, municipalities, and even the city of New York. Janet Wallach s engrossing biography reveals striking parallels between past financial crises and current recession woes, and speaks t only to history buffs but to today s investors, who just might learn a thing or two from Hetty Green.
- Author BiographyJANET WALLACH is the author of nine books, including Desert Queen: The Extraordinary Life of Gertrude Bell, which has been translatedinto twelve languages and was a New York Times Notable Book of the Year.
- Author(s)Janet Wallach
- PublisherAnchor Books
- Date of Publication04/06/2013
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectBiography: The Arts
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintAnchor Books
- Weight358 g
- Width138 mm
- Height196 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $46.25Trending at AU $49.65
- AU $3.73Trending at AU $7.41
- AU $27.04Trending at AU $31.41
- AU $70.90Trending at AU $78.37
- AU $19.24Trending at AU $24.20
- AU $22.60Trending at AU $23.15
- AU $36.89Trending at AU $46.18
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.