All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAs the rest of the world worries about what a future might look like under Chinese supremacy, Edward Luttwak worries about China's own future prospects. Applying the logic of strategy for which he is well kwn, Luttwak argues that the most populous nation on Earth--and its second largest ecomy--may be headed for a fall. For any country whose rising strength cant go unticed, the universal logic of strategy allows only military or ecomic growth. But China is pursuing both goals simultaneously. Its military buildup and assertive foreign policy have already stirred up resistance among its neighbors, just three of whom--India, Japan, and Vietnam--together outnumber China in population and wealth. Unless China's leaders check their own ambitions, a host of countries, which are already forming tacit military coalitions, will start to impose ecomic restrictions as well. Chinese leaders will find it difficult to choose between pursuing ecomic prosperity and increasing China's military strength. Such a change would be hard to explain to public opinion. Moreover, Chinese leaders would have to end their reliance on ancient strategic texts such as Sun Tzu's Art of War. While these guides might have helped in diplomatic and military conflicts within China itself, their tactics--such as deliberately provoking crises to force negotiations--turned China's neighbors into foes. To avoid arousing the world's enmity further, Luttwak advises, Chinese leaders would be wise to pursue a more sustainable course of ecomic growth combined with increasing military and diplomatic restraint.
- Author BiographyEdward N. Luttwak is a Senior Associate at the Center for Strategic and International Studies.
- Author(s)Edward N. Luttwak
- PublisherHarvard University Press
- Date of Publication06/11/2012
- SubjectCurrent Affairs & Issues
- Place of PublicationCambridge, Mass.
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintThe Belknap Press
- Weight399 g
- Width127 mm
- Height190 mm
- Spine26 mm
- Format DetailsSewn,Cloth over boards,With printed dust jacket
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.76
- AU $15.64Trending at AU $18.73
- AU $24.98Trending at AU $25.11
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $74.59
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $36.82
- AU $44.96Trending at AU $46.93
- AU $24.80Trending at AU $28.01
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.