All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $99.54
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.78
- AU $33.32Trending at AU $36.33
- AU $31.73Trending at AU $33.69
- AU $19.99Trending at AU $22.99
- AU $36.16Trending at AU $49.55
- AU $26.67Trending at AU $29.78
About this product
- DescriptionIn its heyday Spalding was a busy commercial port, with a shipping industry that affected a large majority of the local population. But today that rich history is almost forgotten and the town is kwn mainly for its agricultural produce. Keith Seaton stalgically seeks to recover that lost past, beginning with the River Welland of Roman times and traversing history up to the early twentieth century, when river traffic began to decline. The Industrial Revolution was a boom period for the waterway, and as such special attention is given to the master mariners of this important period. Using key sources such as census and shipping records, local family history records, maps and fascinating illustrations, The River Welland: Shipping & Mariners of Spalding creates a rich tapestry of the heritage of this once-thriving shipping area. KEITH SEATON was born and bred in Spalding, Lincolnshire. After joining the RAMC in 1959 for National Service that took him to Malaya, he spent a career in saw mills. He has previously written for the Chain Bridge Forge Museum on subjects relating to family history and local shipping history.
- Author BiographyKeith J. Seaton was born and bred in Spalding, Lincolnshire. After joining the RAMC in 1959 for National Service that took him to Malaya, he spent a career in saw mills. Having had a lifelong interest in sailing and canoeing, he has travelled extensively as a Royal Yachting Association measurer and has done tonnage surveys for the association. He has previously written for the Chain Bridge Forge Museum on subjects relating to family history and local shipping history. He lives in Spalding.
- Author(s)Keith Seaton
- PublisherThe History Press Ltd
- Date of Publication01/11/2013
- SubjectShips & Waterways: General Interest
- Place of PublicationStroud
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintThe History Press Ltd
- Content Note180 black & white illustrations
- Weight408 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.