All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionLonglisted for the National Book Award A moving, subtle sequence of narrative poems, from a sharp new poetic voice Two strangers walk toward Emmaus. Christ has just been crucified, and they are heartbroken-until a third man joins them on the road and comforts them. Once they reach Emmaus and break bread, the pair realizes they have been walking with Christ himself. But in the moment they recognize him, he disappears. Spencer Reece draws on this tender story in his mesmerizing collection-one that fearlessly confronts love and its loss, despair and its consolation, and faith in all of its various guises.Reece's central figure in The Road to Emmaus is a middle-aged man who becomes a priest in the Episcopal Church; these poems follow him to New York City, to Honduras, to a hospital where he works as a chaplain, to a prison, to an Alcoholics Anymous meeting. With language of simple, lyrical beauty that gradually accrues weight and momentum, Reece spins compelling dramas out of small moments: the speaker, living among a group of orphans, wondering Was it true, what they said, that a priest is a house lit up? ; two men finding each other at a Coming Out Group; a man trying to become visible after a life that had depended on t being seen.A yearning for connection, an ache of loneliness, and the instant of love disappearing before our eyes haunt this long-awaited second collection from Spencer Reece.
- Author BiographySpencer Reece is a poet and priest. His first collection, The Clerk's Tale, won the Bakeless Prize in 2003. He has received an NEA grant, a Guggenheim grant, a Witter Bynner Fellowship from the Library of Congress, a Whiting Writers' Award, and the Amy Lowell Travelling Scholarship. His poems have been published in The New Yorker, Poetry, The American Scholar, and The New Republic. He served at the Honduran orphanage Our Little Roses, and works for the Bishop of Spain at the Reformed Episcopal Church, Iglesia Espanola Reformada Episcopal.
- Author(s)Spencer Reece
- PublisherFarrar Straus Giroux
- Date of Publication01/04/2014
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintFarrar Straus Giroux
- Weight299 g
- Width148 mm
- Height217 mm
- Spine17 mm
- Format DetailsUnsewn / adhesive bound,Paper over boards,With dust jacket
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $71.09
- AU $32.48Trending at AU $38.03
- AU $28.53Trending at AU $29.47
- AU $11.66Trending at AU $14.91
- AU $28.03Trending at AU $30.57
- AU $30.98Trending at AU $39.95
- AU $11.25Trending at AU $14.82
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.