All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis sourcebook presents a wealth of material relating to every aspect of Roman spectacles, especially gladiatorial combat and chariot racing. It draws on the words of eye-witnesses and participants, as well as depictions of the games in mosaics and other works of art. It offers snapshots of 'a day at the games' and 'the life of a gladiator'. It includes numerous illustrations. It covers chariot-races, water pageants, naval battles and wild animal fights, as well as gladiatorial combat. It combines political, social, religious and archaeological perspectives. It facilitates an in-depth understanding of this important feature of ancient life.
- Author BiographyAlison Futrell is Associate Professor of Roman History at the University of Arizona in Tucson and author of Blood in the Arena: The Spectacle of Roman Power (1997). Her current research interests are in representations of gender and power, both in the ancient past and in modern popular culture. Her recent projects include the cultural history of Spartacus and a monograph on Barbarian Queens.
- PublisherJohn Wiley and Sons Ltd
- Date of Publication13/12/2005
- SubjectAncient History
- Series TitleBlackwell Sourcebooks in Ancient History
- Place of PublicationChicester
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintWiley-Blackwell (an imprint of John Wiley & Sons Ltd)
- Content Note27 illustrations
- Weight478 g
- Width170 mm
- Height247 mm
- Spine21 mm
- Edited byAlison Futrell
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $56.35Trending at AU $60.64
- AU $19.09Trending at AU $26.10
- AU $74.28Trending at AU $76.09
- AU $35.55Trending at AU $38.80
- AU $31.87Trending at AU $37.29
- AU $37.63Trending at AU $38.56
- AU $47.17Trending at AU $59.70
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.