All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWhen Jamsetji Tata started a trading firm in 1868, few could have guessed that he was also opening an important chapter in the making of modern India. Jamsetji saw that the three keys to India's industrial development were steel, hydroelectric power, and technical education and research. A century and a half later, the Tatas can claim with justice to have lived up to the vision of their founder. But the road to success has never been smooth. Appearing for the first time in this edition is the story of how the Tatas, with Ratan Tata at the helm, have had to grapple with change in the post-1992 era of ecomic reforms. In a frank epilogue, Ratan Tata talks about the difficulties he faced in implementing change, including resistance from his colleagues. The Creation of Wealth is R.M. Lala's best-selling account of how the Tatas have been at the forefront in the making of the Indian nation - t just by their phemenal achievements as industrialists and entrepreneurs but also by their signal contributions in areas like factory reforms, labour and social welfare, medical research, higher education, culture and arts, and rural development.
- Author BiographyRussi M. Lala started his career in journalism in 1948 at the age of nineteen. In 1959 he became the manager of the first Indian book publishing house in London and in 1964 he founded (with Rajmohan Gandhi) Himmat Weekly, which he edited for a decade. His first book, The Creation of Wealth, was published to critical and commercial acclaim in 1981. This was followed by other books, including Beyond the Last Blue Mountain: A Life of J.R.D. Tata (1992), Celebration of the Cells: Letters from a Cancer Survivor (1999), and A Touch of Greatness: Encounters with the Eminent (2001). R.M. Lala's books have been translated into other languages including Japanese. He was the director of Tata's premier Trust, the Sir Dorabji Tata Trust, for eighteen years. He is the co-founder of the Centre for Advancement of Philanthropy, and since 1993, it Chairman. Mario Miranda, whose illustrations appear in the book, is one of India's most famous cartoonists and illustrators. His works have been widely exhibited and published.
- Author(s)R. M. Lala
- PublisherPenguin Books India Pvt Ltd
- Date of Publication07/07/2006
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Place of PublicationNew Delhi
- Country of PublicationIndia
- ImprintPenguin Books India
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight370 g
- Width140 mm
- Height211 mm
- Spine22 mm
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.90Trending at AU $23.11
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $73.45
- AU $31.43Trending at AU $36.86
- AU $30.95Trending at AU $34.21
- AU $17.90Trending at AU $23.82
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $48.28
- AU $18.81Trending at AU $22.17
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.