All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSet largely in locations near the French Riviera, these eleven short stories depict the harsh realities of life for the less-privileged inhabitants of this very privileged region. Distinguished French writer J. M. G. Le Clezio lends his voice to the dispossessed and explores his familiar themes of alienation, immigration, poverty, violence, indifference, the loss of beauty, and the betrayal of incence. In one story an adolescent girl encounters the violence of a gang of masked bikers in a hostile and desolate housing project. In others a man stands by helplessly as a place of great beauty and deep childhood memory is slowly consumed and destroyed by a quickly developing city, an illegal immigrant desperate for work finds himself the prisoner of a ring trafficking in human beings, and two girls risk everything by running away from home and their dead-end factory jobs in search of a more meaningful life. At once tragic and evocative, these engrossing and beautifully crafted stories touch upon the loss of human values in a rapidly changing world.
- Author BiographyWinner of the 2008 Nobel Prize for Literature, J. M. G. Le Clezio was born in Nice in 1940 and is one of France's best-known contemporary writers. He has published more than thirty novels and nonfiction works. In the course of the last four decades Le Clezio has won numerous prizes, including the Prix Renaudot for his first novel. His works have been translated into many languages. C. Dickson is a translator living in France. Her translations include Shams Nadir's The Astrolabe of the Sea and Mohammad Dib's The Savage Night (Nebraska 2001).
- Author(s)J. M. G. Le Clezio
- PublisherUniversity of Nebraska Press
- Date of Publication01/09/2002
- SubjectShort Stories & Fiction Anthologies
- Place of PublicationLincoln
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Nebraska Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight273 g
- Width3887 mm
- Height5817 mm
- Spine11 mm
- Translated byC. Dickson
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $70.99Trending at AU $74.50
- AU $62.20Trending at AU $77.35
- AU $61.13Trending at AU $61.77
- AU $65.85Trending at AU $79.20
- AU $11.89Trending at AU $18.44
- AU $12.86Trending at AU $16.90
- AU $16.42Trending at AU $24.69
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.