All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.57
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.97
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.24
- AU $79.95Trending at AU $91.09
- AU $46.36Trending at AU $48.13
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $84.05
- AU $20.00Trending at AU $28.33
About this product
- DescriptionThough the history of terrorism stretches back to the ancient world, today it is often understood as a recent development. Comprehensive eugh to serve as a survey for students or newcomers to the field, yet with eugh depth to engage the specialist, The Routledge History of Terrorism is the first single-volume authoritative reference text to place terrorism firmly into its historical context. Terrorism is a transnational phemen with a convoluted history that defies easy periodization and narrative treatment. Over the course of 32 chapters, experts in the field analyze its historical significance and explore how and why terrorism emerged as a set of distinct strategies, tactics, and mindsets across time and space. Chapters address t only familiar topics such as the Northern Irish Troubles, the Palestine Liberation Organization, international terrorism, and the rise of al-Qaeda, but also lesser-explored issues such as: * American racial terrorism * state terror and terrorism in the Middle Ages * tyrannicide from Ancient Greece and Rome to the seventeenth century * the roots of Islamist violence * the urban guerrilla, terrorism, and state terror in Latin America * literary treatments of terrorism. With an introduction by the editor explaining the book's rationale and organization, as well as a guide to the definition of terrorism, an historiographical chapter analysing the historical approach to terrorism studies, and an eight-chapter section that explores critical themes in the history of terrorism, this book is essential reading for all those interested in the past, present, and future of terrorism.
- Author BiographyRandall D. Law is Associate Professor of History at Birmingham-Southern College in Birmingham, Alabama, where he teaches courses on Russia, Modern Europe, and terrorism. He is the author of Terrorism: A History (2009) and is frequently interviewed by national and international reporters on matters related to terrorism and Russian politics. His current research is on terrorism, violence, and criminality in the city of Odessa in the Russian Empire in the early twentieth century.
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication02/04/2015
- SubjectHistory: World & General
- Series TitleRoutledge Histories
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Weight1043 g
- Width174 mm
- Height246 mm
- Spine33 mm
- Edited byRandall David Law
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.