Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.09
- AU $166.95Trending at AU $170.17
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $117.55
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $108.59
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $106.99
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $52.38
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $105.54
About this product
- DescriptionIn 2014 the Royal Gibraltar Regiment celebrated its 75th anniversary. This is the history of the regiment and its preceding formations, a history that shows how a locally raised volunteer unit developed into a modern, light-role infantry battalion, based in Gibraltar and operating all over the world. The book takes the reader back to the beginning of British rule in Gibraltar and the involvement of the local population in the Great Siege during the 18th century. From there it embarks on a journey that describes the history of the Volunteer Corps in the First World War and the Gibraltar Defence Force which was established in 1939, the Gibraltar Regiment during the Cold War and finally the Royal Gibraltar Regiment in its current form. The changing roles of the regiment and the internal developments are described and explained within the wider political and military context of Gibraltar. This journey is brought to life with the help of photographs, illustrations and the words of the regiment's soldiers.
- Author BiographyDr. Matthias Strohn was educated at the Universities of Muenster (Germany) and Oxford. He has lectured at Oxford University and the Joint Services Command and Staff College at Shrivenham. Since 2006 he has been a lecturer in the Department of War Studies at the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst, and in 2011 he was also made a Senior Research Fellow at the University of Buckingham. He holds a commission in the German army and is currently a member of the military attache reserve. He has published widely on 20th century German and European military history and is an expert on the German army in the First World War and the inter-war period. He has advised British and German government bodies on the First World War centenary commemorations.
- Author(s)Matthias Strohn
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication22/09/2016
- SubjectMilitary History
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintOsprey Publishing
- Content NoteFully illustrated in colour and black-and-white throughout
- Weight1593 g
- Width260 mm
- Height310 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.