All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionPublished in the months leading up to the Battle of Jutland, W.M. James' New Battleship Organisations, was the ultimate guide to command and organization of every aspect of a modern First World War capital ship. The book provides a unique, and highly revealing, insight into life aboard ship, the mechanics of command, seamanship, the issuing of orders, and the broad expectations placed upon British naval officers. Specific sections are dedicated to the organization of watches, the division of work (from fellow officers right through the ship's company to the ratings), naval routine, parades, anchor and cable work, coaling and right down to the organization of chapel, on-board shops, cleaning and even the ship's barbers. A series of detailed tables, diagrams and humorous cartons accompany the lucid, period language of the First World War Senior Service and provide a further glimpse below-decks that will appeal to social and family historians, and anyone with a general or specialist interest in naval history.The book, re-published here by the Pool of London Press as The Royal Navy Officer's Jutland Pocket-Manual 1916, marks the centenary of the First World War's most famous, and deadly naval encounter.
- Author BiographyBrian Lavery is one of Britain's leading naval historians and a prolific author. A Curator Emeritus at the National Maritime Museum, Greenwich, and a renowned expert on the sailing navy and the Royal Navy, in 2007 he won the prestigious Desmond Wettern Maritime Media Award. His naval writing was further honoured in 2008 with the Society of Nautical Research's Anderson Medal. His recent titles include Ship (2006), Royal Tars (2010), Conquest of the Ocean (2013), In Which They Served (2008), Churchill's Navy (2006), and the Sunday Times bestseller Empire of the Seas (2010).
- Author(s)Brian Lavery,W. M. James
- PublisherThe Pool of London Press
- Date of Publication05/05/2016
- SubjectMilitary History
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintThe Pool of London Press
- Content Note10 mono illustrations
- Weight255 g
- Width120 mm
- Height180 mm
- Spine15 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $80.61
- AU $166.94Trending at AU $169.05
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $116.86
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $107.96
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $106.36
- AU $49.80Trending at AU $52.07
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $104.93
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.