Best-selling in Audio Books
Save on Audio Books
- AU $41.18Trending at AU $46.67
- AU $35.57Trending at AU $38.74
- AU $12.61Trending at AU $12.87
- AU $20.05Trending at AU $27.70
- AU $37.95Trending at AU $51.28
- AU $17.59Trending at AU $20.19
- AU $11.95Trending at AU $16.29
About this product
- DescriptionWhat really marked the end of the Roman Empire? Was it a long, inevitable decay, or did real people make real choices with surprising and unintended effects? The Ruin of the Roman Empire takes us back to the sixth century, into the lives, cultures, and events that influenced ancient Rome. James O'Donnell restores the reputations of many barbarians, while showing that Rome's last emperors doomed their realm with the hapless ways in which they tried to restore and preserve it. Sweeping and accessible, The Ruin of the Roman Empire captures the richness of late antique life and the colorful characters of the age while offering insight into today's debates about barbarism, religion, empires, and their threatened borders.
- Author BiographyJames O'Donnell is a distinguished classicist who has published widely on the history and culture of late antiquity, and the author of Augustine. He was a professor of classics at the University of Pennsylvania for many years, and he has been Provost of Georgetown Univesity since 2002. He is a fellow of the Medieval Academy of America and a past president of the American Philological Association. A native of the border region of New Mexico, he graduated from Princeton University and received his Ph.D. from Yale University. Mel Foster has narrated over 150 audiobooks and has won several awards. Twice an Audie finalist for 1864: Lincoln at the Gates of History by Charles Bracelen Flood and Finding God in Unexpected Places by Philip Yancey, he won for the latter title. He has also won several AudioFile Earphones Awards. Best known for mysteries, Mel has also narrated classic authors such as Thoreau, Nabokov, and Whitman.
- Author(s)James J. O'Donnell
- PublisherTantor Media, Inc
- Date of Publication22/09/2008
- SubjectAncient History
- Place of PublicationOld Saybrook, CT
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintTantor Media, Inc
- Weight101 g
- Width163 mm
- Height137 mm
- Spine42 mm
- Narrator(s)Mel Foster
- Format DetailsCD standard audio format
- Running Time1140
- Edition StatementUnabridged
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.