All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $103.88Trending at AU $107.25
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $80.14
- AU $166.94Trending at AU $168.19
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $107.33
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $105.74
- AU $49.79Trending at AU $51.77
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $88.30
About this product
- DescriptionIn her new collection, Fiona Sze-Lorrain offers a nuanced yet dynamic vision of humanity marked by perils, surprises, and the transcendence of a ruined elegance. Through an intercultural journey that traces lives, encounters, exiles, and memories from France, America, and Asia, the poet explores a rich array of historical and literary allusions to European masters, Asian sources, and American influences. With candor and humor, each lyrical foray is sensitive to silence and experience: I want to hor / the invisible. I'll use the fog to see white peaches. There are haunting narratives from a World War II concentration camp, the Stalinist Terror, and a persecuted Tibet during the Cultural Revolution. There are also poems that take as their point of departure writings, paintings, sketches, photographs, and music by Gu Cheng, Giorgio Caproni, Bonnard, Hiroshige, Gao Xingjian, Kertesz, and Debussy, among others. Grounded in the sensual, these poems probe existential questionings through inspirations from nature and the impermanent earth. Described by the Los Angeles Review of Books as a high lyricist who refuses to resort to mere lyricism in order to articulate her experience, Sze-Lorrain renews her faith in music and poetic language by addressing the opposing aesthetics of ruins and elegance, and how the experience of both defies judgment.
- Author BiographyFiona Sze-Lorrain is a poet, literary translator, editor, and zheng harpist. The author of two previous books of poetry in English, My Funeral Gondola and Water the Moon, she also writes and translates in French and Chinese. She lives in Paris.
- PrizesCommended for Los Angeles Times Book Prize (Poetry Category) 2015.
- Author(s)Fiona Sze-Lorrain
- PublisherPrinceton University Press
- Date of Publication25/09/2015
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Series TitlePrinceton Series of Contemporary Poets
- Place of PublicationNew Jersey
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPrinceton University Press
- Weight114 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine5 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.