All listings for this product
About this product
- Description<b>A visionary vel from the author of <i>Super Sad True Love Story</i> and<i> Little Failure.</i></b><i>The Russian Debutante's Handbook </i>introduces Vladimir Girshkin, one of the most original and unlikely heroes of recent times. The twenty-five-year-old unhappy lover to a fat dungeon mistress, affectionately nicknamed Little Failure by his high-achieving mother, Vladimir toils his days away as a lowly clerk at the bureaucratic Emma Lazarus Immigrant Absorption Society. When a wealthy but psychotic old Russian war hero appears, Vladimir embarks on an adventure of unrelenting lunacy that takes us from New York's Lower East Side to the hip frontier wilderness of Prava--the Eastern European Paris of the nineties. With the help of a murderous but fun-loving Russian mafioso, Vladimir infiltrates the Prava expat community and launches a scheme as ridiculous as it is brilliant. Bursting with wit, humor, and rare insight, <i>The Russian Debutante's Handbook </i>is both a highly imaginative romp and a serious exploration of what it means to be an immigrant in America.
- Author Biography<b>Gary Shteyngart</b> was born in Leningrad in 1972. This novel won the Stephen Crane First Fiction Award, was named a <i>New York Times </i>Notable Book, and was chosen as a best book of the year by <i>The Washington Post Book World </i>and <i>Entertainmeny Weekly</i>. His second novel, <i>Absurdistan</i>, was one of the <i>New York Times</i>' Best Books of 2006, and named a best book of the year by <i>Time </i>and <i>The Washington Post</i>. His third novel, <i>Super Sad True Love Story </i>was a <i>New York Times </i>Notable Book and named a best book of the year by <i>The New York Times</i>, <i>The Washington Post</i>, and many others. His most recent book, <i>Little Failure</i>, is a memoir hailed as hilarious and moving (<i>New York Times</i>) and dazzling (NPR). His work has appeared in the <i>New Yorker</i>, <i>Granta</i>, and other publications. He lives in New York City.
- Author(s)Gary Shteyngart
- PublisherPenguin Putnam Inc
- Date of Publication21/10/2005
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintRiverhead Books,U.S.
- Weight390 g
- Width130 mm
- Height208 mm
- Spine27 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $69.05Trending at AU $73.63
- AU $86.77Trending at AU $95.16
- AU $62.20Trending at AU $83.93
- AU $12.76Trending at AU $15.16
- AU $11.68Trending at AU $16.47
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.76
- AU $21.57Trending at AU $24.28
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.