All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.40
- AU $166.95Trending at AU $170.82
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $118.00
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $109.01
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $107.40
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $52.58
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $105.95
About this product
- DescriptionThe American colonists who took up arms against the British fought in defense of the sacred cause of liberty. But it was t merely their cause but warfare itself that they believed was sacred. In Sacred Scripture, Sacred War, James P. Byrd shows that the Bible was a key text of the American Revolution. Many colonists saw the Bible as primarily a book about war, and God as t merely sanctioning violence but actively participating in combat. When war came, preachers and patriots turned to scripture, t only for solace, but for exhortations to violence. Byrd has combed through more than 500 wartime sources, which include more than 17,000 biblical citations, to see how the Bible shaped American war, and how war shaped Americans' view of the Bible.
- Author BiographyJames P. Byrd is Assistant Professor of American Religious History, Associate Dean for Graduate Education and Research, and Fellow in the Center for the Study of Religion and Culture, Vanderbilt University Divinity School and Graduate Department of Religion.
- Author(s)James P. Byrd
- PublisherOxford University Press Inc
- Date of Publication13/06/2013
- SubjectChristian History & Denominations
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintOxford University Press Inc
- Content Noteblack & white tables
- Weight468 g
- Width162 mm
- Height237 mm
- Spine22 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.