All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.09
- AU $166.94Trending at AU $170.17
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $117.55
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $108.59
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $106.99
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $52.38
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $105.54
About this product
- DescriptionThe focus of this book is the treatment of the Akedah (Genesis 22:1-19) in the Romanceros of Spain, Portugal and the Judeo-Spanish communities in exile. The author demonstrates how the midrashic tradition has had a significant impact t only on the oral repertoire of the Sephardic Jews but also on contemporary Spanish versions of the ballad kwn as El sacrificio de Isaac. This fascinating study traces the evolution of a 16th-century text into three modern-day branches, and examines how each has reflected the society and culture of its transmitters. In the final chapter, the author explores the theory that the Peninsular version may have been preserved by Crypto-Jews and conversos through the centuries as a powerful symbol of their destiny.
- Author(s)Alberto Barugel
- PublisherPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Date of Publication01/12/1990
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Series TitleAmerican University Studies, Series 2: Romance, Languages & Literature
- Series Part/Volume Number116
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Weight500 g
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.