All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $29.41Trending at AU $31.55
- AU $74.23Trending at AU $76.09
- AU $35.55Trending at AU $38.80
- AU $31.84Trending at AU $37.29
- AU $10.39Trending at AU $15.38
- AU $37.63Trending at AU $38.56
- AU $26.33Trending at AU $51.27
About this product
- DescriptionIn 1980, SAGE published Geert Hofstede's Culture's Consequences. It opens with a quote from Blaise Pascal: There are truths on this side of the Pyrenees that are falsehoods on the other. The book became a classic-one of the most cited sources in the Social Science Citation Index-and subsequently appeared in a second edition in 2001. This new SAGE Encyclopedia of Intercultural Competence picks up on themes explored in that book. Cultural competence refers to the set of attitudes, practices, and policies that enables a person or agency to work well with people from differing cultural groups. Other related terms include cultural sensitivity, transcultural skills, diversity competence, and multicultural expertise. What defines a culture? What barriers might block successful communication between individuals or agencies of differing cultures? How can those barriers be understood and navigated to enhance intercultural communication and understanding? These questions and more are explained within the pages of this new reference work. Key Features: *300 to 350 entries organized in A-to-Z fashion in two volumes *Signed entries that conclude with Cross-References and Suggestions for Further Readings *Thematic Reader's Guide in the front matter grouping related entries by broad topic areas *Chrology that provides a historical perspective of the development of cultural competence as a discrete field of study *Resources appendix and a comprehensive Index The SAGE Encyclopedia of Intercultural Competence is an authoritative and rigorous source on intercultural competence and related issues, making it a must-have reference for all academic libraries.
- Author BiographyDr. Janet Bennett (co-editor) is executive director of the Intercultural Communication Institute and chair of the ICI/University of the Pacific Master of Arts in Intercultural Relations program. Her Ph.D. is from the University of Minnesota, where she specialized in intercultural communication and anthropology. For twelve years, Janet was the chair of the liberal arts division at Marylhurst College, where she developed innovative academic programs for adult degree students. As a trainer and consultant, Janet designs and conducts intercultural and diversity training for colleges and universities, corporations, and social service agencies. She teaches courses in the training and development program at Portland State University and has published several articles and chapters on the subjects of developmental layered intercultural training and adjustment processes.
- PrizesWinner of Choice Magazine Outstanding Reference/Academic Book Award 2015.
- PublisherSAGE Publications Inc
- Date of Publication03/06/2015
- FormatMixed media product
- SubjectCommunication & Media
- Place of PublicationThousand Oaks
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSAGE Publications Inc
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight3538 g
- Width215 mm
- Height279 mm
- Spine109 mm
- Edited byJanet M. Bennett
- Contained items statementContains 2 Hardbacks
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.