All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $13.74Trending at AU $16.20
- AU $35.30Trending at AU $37.95
- AU $14.06Trending at AU $20.88
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $13.93
- AU $15.52Trending at AU $23.29
- AU $30.82Trending at AU $34.85
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.26
About this product
- DescriptionFirst published in 1867, the Sailor's Word-Book is an incomparable alphabetical digest of nautical terms - some 14,000 in all. It defines a huge range of common and rare words, some of which, though w antiquated or obsolete, nevertheless appear regularly in contemporary works, because it remains one of the principal sources for many of the foremost writers of maritime n-fiction and fiction of our times. As well as de facto terms dealing with every aspect of ships and the sea - encompassing warships, merchant vessels, small craft, seamanship, navigation, meteorology, naval architecture, ship construction and fittings - the author also included 'galley slang', relevant natural history terms and even birds and fishes that were considered good eating. Not least of the pleasures of this book is the author's characteristic manner, which is as pithy and direct as the idiom itself. Much more than a period piece, this new edition is an invaluable tool for maritime historians, model-makers, sailors and indeed anyone with an interest in the maritime world.
- Author BiographyWilliam Henry Smyth (1788-1865) devoted most of his naval career to surveying, and the results, often carried out in collaboration with French, Austrian and Neapolitan surveyors, were highly acclaimed. He was a Fellow and, later, President (1849-51) of the Royal Geographical Society. In 1858 he began to assemble the Sailor's Word-Book from material amassed during his long career. Although he completed the work, he died before he saw its publication.
- Author(s)W. H. Smyth
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication24/02/2005
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintConway Maritime Press Ltd
- Out-of-print date10/09/2016
- Weight1115 g
- Width140 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine60 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.