The Salt House: A Summer on the Dunes of Cape Cod by Cynthia Huntington (Paperback, 2003)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $20.93+ AU $4.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe Salt House is a beautifully observed and written memoir of a long summer's stay on the back shore of Cape Cod. Each chapter is like a prose poem, shedding increasing light on the challenge of finding home without the illusion of permanence, a quest based t on ownership but on affinity and familiarity with an area and its people. Cynthia Huntington expands her theme through images of the landscape, the shack, the new marriage. The shack, named Euphoria, is built as a house set on stilts above the sand, to take the wind under it. Only a partial shelter, it is inhabited for only one season a year, yet it endures. The outer cape has the feel of a place for migrants and drifters -- for birds and other wildlife, and for people such as artists, fishermen, and coast guardsmen. A place where year-round often means several addresses. Similarly, her narrative describes improvised, fragile beginnings: a new marriage, learning to be at home in the world, becoming intimate with the natural world, without the necessity of settling down. The Salt House shares a world that is less natural history or memoir than it is neighborhood exploration -- the process of learning a place and becoming native to it.
- Author BiographyCynthia Huntington, Professor of English and Chair of Creative Writing at Dartmouth College, also teaches in the MFA in Writing Program at Vermont College. Author of We Have Gone to the Beach (1996) and The Fish-Wife (1986), she has a long association with the Provincetown Fine Arts Work Center. Her new collection of poems The Radiant will be published by Four Way Books in February 2003 (see page 30).
- Author(s)Cynthia Huntington
- PublisherUniversity Press of New England
- Date of Publication01/02/2003
- SubjectAutobiography: General
- Place of PublicationHanover
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintDartmouth College Press
- Content Note1 Map.
- Weight304 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Edition StatementNew edition
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $90.88Trending at AU $93.04
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $30.82
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $78.83
- AU $34.29Trending at AU $38.68
- AU $26.88Trending at AU $29.35
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $17.94
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.21
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.