All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.82
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.80
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $74.86
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $36.95
- AU $44.96Trending at AU $47.10
- AU $24.97Trending at AU $28.23
- AU $9.83Trending at AU $13.31
About this product
- DescriptionDuring Japan's Warring States period, centuries of strife had left the country divided and leaderless. Those who filled the power vacuum were the daimyo, warlords who ruled over the clans and provinces of Japan. Serving their daimyo, the samurai were the ultimate warriors at a time when military prowess won out over hereditary power and position. The nature of warfare itself changed-romantic ideas of mounted duels and battlefield decorum became as rare as aristocratic samurai leaders. Marching in to replace them were the common foot soldiers, the ashigaru, armed with pikes and matchlock rifles. The Samurai Warrior examines the fighting men of this key period in Japanese history. Divided into six chapters, the book describes the unification under the Tokugawa bakufu, the major battles of the era, the weapons and armor used, the social structure of Japanese society, myths about the samurai, and finally the decline of the samurai amidst the modernization of the Meiji period. Including more than 200 photographs, illustrations, paintings, and maps, The Samurai Warrior is a colorful, accessible study of Japan's famous but often misunderstood warrior elite.
- Author BiographyBen Hubbard is a non-fiction author who specializes in books about the history of civilizations. Among his works are titles on ancient Rome, Greece, and Egypt and castles of medieval Europe. Hubbard has also written histories of Roman gladiators, samurai, duellists, medieval tournaments, fighter pilots, and gunmen of the American West.
- Author(s)Ben Hubbard
- PublisherAmber Books Ltd
- Date of Publication18/09/2014
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAmber Books Ltd
- Content Noteillustrations (colour), maps (colour)
- Weight1338 g
- Width290 mm
- Height213 mm
- Spine23 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.