All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.09
- AU $166.95Trending at AU $170.17
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $117.55
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $108.59
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $106.99
- AU $49.74Trending at AU $52.38
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $105.54
About this product
- DescriptionThe Santurce Crabbers are one of the most storied franchises in the Caribbean. Their first owner, Pedrin Zorrilla, was a visionary, with many Negro League and big league contacts. Zorrilla signed up such eventual Hall of Famers as Josh Gibson, Satchel Paige, Roy Campanella, Ray Dandridge and Leon Day during the team's first decade. Santurce was the most successful winter league team of the 1950s, with three Caribbean Series titles. Roberto Clemente, Ruben Gomez, Willie Mays, Willard Brown and Bob Thurman played for the Crabbers during those glory years. Tom Lasorda used to pitch for them.Santurce set up working agreements with the Giants, Orioles, Dodgers and Astros, among other teams. Earl Weaver and Frank Robinson were team managers and Hall of Famers Bob Gibson, Jim Palmer, Reggie Jackson and Robin Yount were early-career Crabbers. Orlando Cepeda and Tony (Tany) Perez played their entire winter league careers with Santurce. Lee Smith, the major leagues' all-time saves leader, pitched for them. Juan Gonzalez and Jose Cruz, Jr., are two of the team's Puerto Rican stars in the 1990s.
- Author BiographyThomas E. Van Hyning, fluent in Spanish and a research manager for the Mississippi Tourism Division, served 1991-1995 as U.S. correspondent for the Puerto Rico Professional Baseball Hall of Fame and is a former member of SABR's Latin American Committee. He writes for The National Pastime and the Baseball Research Journal. Mr. Van Hyning is also the author of Puerto Rico's Winter League (1995). He lives in Florence, Mississippi.
- Author(s)Thomas E. Van Hyning
- PublisherMcFarland & Co Inc
- Date of Publication15/10/2008
- SubjectBall Games: Field & Outdoor
- Place of PublicationJefferson, NC
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMcFarland & Co Inc
- Content Note56 photos, notes, bibliography, index
- Weight499 g
- Width175 mm
- Height251 mm
- Spine20 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.