All listings for this product
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $71.29
- AU $32.44Trending at AU $38.14
- AU $45.07Trending at AU $52.06
- AU $33.00Trending at AU $35.68
- AU $21.88Trending at AU $34.44
- AU $30.12Trending at AU $32.49
- AU $20.37Trending at AU $22.08
About this product
- Description<b><i>The Scales of Heaven and Earth</i></b> reveals the tonal foundation of the ancient musical scales of India. Bharata Muni's <i>Natya Shastra</i>, Dattila's <i>Dattilam</i>, and Sharngadeva's <i>Sangita Ratnakara</i>, three ancient authoritative texts, describe the microtones (<i>Shrutis</i>), tes (<i>Svaras</i>), and basic scales (<i>Gramas</i>) that were fundamental to the ancient music. This book carefully explores the logic of this system, giving the relevant original Sanskrit passages with their translations, and contrasts it with the natural temperament of modern Indian classical music and the equal temperament of the West. The author has tested the ancient scales and found that the music produced with them is aesthetic and uniquely beneficial. The effects of the scales said to be used only in Heaven are particularly interesting. The book also recounts some points in <i>Sangita Ratnakara</i> suggesting absolute pitch and proposes starting points for research in this area. Basic calculations for instrument making and tuning are also included. The text is complemented with numerous charts. The precise intervals between the tes of the scale are an important part of music and produce a subtle effect. The ancient system of India has a unique value and is worthy of investigation and use.
- Author BiographyJonathan Dean Worcester is proficient in the arts and sciences, with a lively mind and a long history of applied intelligence. Photographer, graphic artist, singer, dancer, musician, composer, player of guitar, accordion, trombone, violin, and four instruments he has made, teacher of the Transcendental Meditation program, self-taught computer programmer and data management specialist, poet, scholar, he is an original thinker.
- Author(s)Jonathan D Worcester
- PublisherCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Date of Publication29/01/2016
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight86 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine3 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.