All listings for this product
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $16.82Trending at AU $17.25
- AU $66.82Trending at AU $74.47
- AU $92.35Trending at AU $103.42
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $70.47
- AU $13.21Trending at AU $15.41
- AU $23.99Trending at AU $25.60
- AU $10.20Trending at AU $13.42
About this product
- DescriptionShe was taught to submit, to obey . . . but she dreamed of an empire.The sole heir to the House of Omura, a venerable family of Kobe sake brewers, nineteen-year-old Rie hears but cant heed her mother's advice: that in nineteenth-century Japan, a woman must kill the self or her life will be too difficult to bear. In this strict, male-dominated society, women may t even enter the brewery-and repressive tradition demands that Rie turn over her family's business to the inept philanderer she's been forced to marry. She is even expected to raise her husband's children by ather woman-a geisha-so that they can eventually run the Omura enterprise.But Rie's pride will t allow her to relinquish what is rightfully hers. With courage, cunning, brilliance, and skill, she is ready to confront every threat that arises before her-from prejudice to treachery to shipwrecks to the insidious schemes of relentless rivals-in her bold determination to forge a magnificent dynasty...and to, impossibly, succeed.An epic and breathtaking saga that spans generations as it sweeps through the heart of a century, Joyce Lebra's The Scent of Sake is a vivid and powerful entry into ather world...and an unforgettable portrait of a woman who would t let that world defeat her.
- Author(s)Joyce Lebra
- PublisherHarperCollins Publishers Inc
- Date of Publication17/02/2009
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintWilliam Morrow Paperbacks
- Weight284 g
- Width135 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine22 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.