All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionEnlightenment --is it a myth or is it real? In every spiritual tradition, inner explorers have discovered that the liberated state is in fact a natural experience, as real as the sensations you are having right w--and that through the investigation of your own thoughts, feelings, and perceptions you can awaken to clear insight and a happiness independent of conditions. For decades, one of the most engaging teachers of our time has illuminated the many dimensions of awakening--but solely at his live retreats and on audio recordings. Now, with The Science of Enlightenment, Shinzen Young brings to readers an uncommonly lucid guide to mindfulness meditation for the first time: how it works and how to use it to enhance your cognitive capacities, your kindness and connection with the world, and the richness of all your experiences. As thousands of his students and listeners will confirm, Shinzen is like other teacher you've ever encountered. He merges scientific clarity, a rare grasp of source-language teachings East and West, and a gift for sparking insight through unexpected analogies, illustrations, humor, and firsthand accounts that reveal the inner journey to be as wondrous as any geographical expedition. Join him here to explore: Universal insights spanning Buddhism, Christian and Jewish mysticism, shamanism, the yogas of India, and many other pathsHow to begin and navigate your own meditation practiceConcentration, clarity, and equanimity--the core catalysts of awakeningImpermanence--its many aspects and how to work with themExperiencing the wave and particle natures of selfPurification and clarification--how we digest mental blockages and habits through inner workEmerging neuroscience research, the future of enlightenment, and much more For meditators of all levels and beliefs--especially those who think they've heard it all--this many-faceted gem will be sure to surprise, provoke, illuminate, and inspire.
- Author BiographyShinzen YoungShinzen Young became fascinated with Asian culture while a teenager in Los Angeles. Later he enrolled in a PhD program in Buddhist Studies at the University of Wisconsin. Eventually, he went to Asia and did extensive training in each of the three major Buddhist traditions: Vajrayana, Zen and Vipassana. Upon returning to the United States, his academic interests shifted to the burgeoning dialogue between Eastern meditation and Western science. Shinzen is known for his innovative interactive, algorithmic approach to mindfulness, a system specifically designed for use in pain management, recovery support, and as an adjunct to psychotherapy. He leads meditation retreats throughout North America and has helped establish numerous mindfulness centers and programs. He also consults widely on meditation-related research, in both the clinical and the basic science domains. He often says: My life's passion lies in exploring what may arise from the cross-fertilization of the best of the East with the best of the West.
- Author(s)Shinzen Young
- PublisherSounds True Inc
- Date of Publication15/09/2016
- SubjectMind, Body & Spirit: General
- Place of PublicationLouisville, CO
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSounds True Inc
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight499 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine25 mm
Most relevant reviews
- carlbertram25 Nov, 2016by
Eye opening and stimulating read.
Verified purchase: Yes | Condition: New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $65.50Trending at AU $75.22
- AU $143.50Trending at AU $152.67
- AU $44.92Trending at AU $56.19
- AU $28.56Trending at AU $29.58
- AU $20.94Trending at AU $25.80
- AU $20.25Trending at AU $22.04
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.